Image Credit: Malidate Van / Pexels
by Healthoria.com – Phase 1, also known as the induction phase, is intended to acclimate your lifestyle and eating habits to the protein heavy Atkins meal plan. You’ll be asked to change your meal composition, timing, and eating behavior to better adjust to the Atkins diet.
Phase 1 Goals
– 115-175g of protein per meal. (Yup, per meal. Much more than most will be used to.)
– Less than 20 g of carbs for the entire day.
Atkins Diet Phase 1 Food List
Recommended Protein Sources
See Also: Intermittent fasting for fat loss
High Fat Sources
Virgin Olive Oil
Full Fat Mayo (No low fat, or reduced calorie mayonnaise)
The recommended carb total coming from vegetables in phase 1 is only 12-15 g for the entire day, so choose wisely.
Related: How to lose 20 pounds in two months
Food You Can’t Eat In Phase 1
The do not eat list for phase 1 is going to seem very strict, but many of these foods are only restricted in the first few weeks during induction. After this initial period some of these foods will be allowed in moderation.
Not Allowed In Phase 1:
Food Cooked With White Flour
Alcohol (Not allowed in this phase)
Most Nuts & Seeds
Grains (Not even whole grains)
Beans & Lentils
Low Fat Processed Foods
Sauces (bbq, ketchup, pasta, tomato)
Chewing Gum, Mints
Salad Dressing (Use Mayo instead)
Tips For Completing Phase 1
– Weigh everything you eat in the first few weeks until you’re confident you know the exact calories, carbs, and protein content of each serving.
– Avoid food with added sugar
– You don’t need to eat extra lean protein. The fat and skin is allowed on the diet, and often recommended.
– Vegetables are allowed, but beware of the high carb vegetables like corn and carrots.
– Artificial sweetener packets should be counted as 1 g of carbs, even if it says zero calories.
Pin This Article
- Tips for following Weight Watchers
- 10 easy smoothie recipes
- Why you should be doing supersets
- Body weight exercises you can do at home
- When will you start to see your abs?
- How to build muscle while you burn fat